I see a lot of those programs on TV which talk about flipping houses. It is pretty plain and straightforward at the most basic level. You get a house that needs a little work, then you paint the orange county shutters and do some landscaping. You have to think about a lot of things which are not all that obvious however. It is never so simple as some of those talking heads on TV make it out to be. Of course the one thing that is really going to make a limit to most houses is location. For example if you buy a house and do everything that can be done to make it more valuable, that may not really make much difference if the houses to either side are shacks. If the guy next door just has a bunch of junk laying around, that is going to have a very negative effect on the value of your house. Anything like that is going to hurt you. The worst thing would be if the place is in a poor neighborhood with significant crime rates. Continue reading “How Do You Make Money on Houses?”
In the recent past, home improvement service has been quite on the rise with many people coming up to start selling home improvement products as well as these services. This has turned out to be a very lucrative business with good returns. If you happen to be looking out for a good and cheap provider of home improvement service, there are several sites which you can look at in the internet. Once you get to the search engine of your choice, you cannot miss to see all the organizations and companies offering home improvement service. Similarly, you can also get this information from advertisements and the press.
Any business owner who runs a home improvement service should also run a store to sell home products. This is irrespective of whether you are offering your services online or offline. A person who sells construction supplies should make sure that he or she achieves great sales turnover by observing the following rules. You should first check out for construction companies which will buy from you. You must treat them kindly so that they become your
Emulsion and paints on the walls are fading. Plumbing system is not working properly; leaky roofs and damp walls making the home a nest for molds and mildews; cracks on the exterior wall are prominent and the window sidings are broken. Yes, your home is looking ugly and sick; you need to give it a face lift.
Home improvement and home remodeling are done to renovate the exterior and interior of your home. At the same time, it helps you add some extra space some times. Planned remodeling can effectively increase living space. Adding a roof over an open place or constructing a door at a suitable position can allow you make full use of available area.
To keep your home in good shape you need to repair your home at a regular interval. All the homeowners go for home improvement at least once in a year or two. Home remodeling not only keeps your home in right condition, but makes it attractive and good-looking as well.
Apart from thorough
Renovated homes always increase the value of a home. It is estimated that Americans spend around $114.6 billion on home renovation projects with an average construction project costs anywhere around $45,000. The scale of work ranges from simple carpentry jobs to adding/remodeling bathrooms or kitchens or even converting rooms. With so much investment, it indeed makes sense to choose home improvement and remodeling contractors with care.
Statistics at the New York Times Department of Consumer Affairs reveal that complaints about home improvement contractors far outnumber all other categories. Here’s a quick guide to help you find the right contractor:
– The first thing before hiring a contractor is to make sure that he has a license. Almost all states follow strict guidelines before issuing a license. Contractors are required to clear criminal background tests, written examination, and are charged a license fee. In some places like New York and Nassau, they are even required to pay a bond through a trust fund which is used to compensate consumers who were affected by shoddy and less
What’s the difference between a general contractor and a skilled worker in carpentry, electrical, plumbing or one of the other construction trades? One answer is “a contractor’s license.”
Another answer is that a general contractor is a tradesman who at some point asked him or herself the question, “Why am I giving a big portion of my salary to the general contractor when I could BE the general contractor?” They get their license and bingo, a general contractor is born.
Well, there’s probably more to it than that, but the fact is that many GCs did begin as tradesmen and tradeswomen and at some point decided they wanted to run their own business.
In a big construction company, there is a “project manager” that deals with the day to day details of one or more projects. A project manager may or may not be a tradesman but usually does have business management skills. A big company must run several jobs at a time to meet its expenses.
A general contractor who came up as a tradesman probably only has one or two jobs going
As a business owner you obviously want as many home improvement sales leads as possible because leads turn into sales and sales equal income! There are lots of ways to market a construction type business in order to get consumers to call on you, but which ones work and which ones are a bit expensive for what they deliver in terms of generating quality leads? Well these 4 key points or tips can give you some insight of what resources are available and which ones are the most effective when you are looking to gain focused construction, siding, windows, plumbing, or other type of handyman leads for your company.
1. One item is clear and that is in order to have an effective sales and marketing campaign now days you need to have an online presence, regardless of what type of company or service business you are running. You may ask why this so crucial because you may be used to just always following the path of some small or large phone book ads and maybe a few radio advertisements. The fact is more and more consumers, potential clients, and other people in
There are millions of people every year who look into fixing up their home or building a new home from the ground up. Whether you’re starting out from scratch, or are working on a home you’ve lived in for quite some time, a few universal tips can go a long way. This is especially true if you’re looking at hiring contractors for larger scale construction projects. The reason why you will want to do some preliminary thinking is because you will have to live with the results, and more than just living with them, you’ll have to pay for them. Even if you decide to do all the work on your own, you’ll have to invest heavily in the cost of updating, remodeling, or even starting construction projects. With that in mind, consider the following 3 things that will help you get things rolling and keep them going until the end.
- Shop Around – The first tip for anyone that wants to get construction moving is simply shop around. Whether it’s supplies, or general contractors, make sure that you spend some time looking around and comparing all available options and resources. Do not simply go with the
New construction home loans are not the same as your typical, everyday home loans. They tend to have different requirements and adhere to different rules. If you wish to know more about new home construction loans, read on. You just might find an easier way to own your dream home.
The Definition of New Construction Home Loans
When you ask for this type of loan, you’re asking the mortgage provider to give you the money you need to build your own home.
The Basis of Approval
First and foremost, your mortgage provider would require a detailed explanation as well as accounting on the estimated costs for your home-building project. They’d want to know how much experience you have in the field of construction, how much you estimate you’re going to spend on your house and how it’s going to look in the end.
Only after you’ve passed the initial screening, they ask you to submit the usual documents that would enlighten them about your earning capabilities and credit reputation.
The Types of Construction Loans
More and more people are changing how they live in their homes. For one, if they have the resources, they would remodel their home. Home improvement addition is a booming consumer insight. More and more construction companies are emerging through this need. Most homes would remodel their gardens by adding landscape, some would remodel their garage, and for others, the kitchen and bathroom.
The receiving area, the dining area, the bedroom, the kitchen, and the bathroom are places in your house that is always stayed in. There have been many revolutionary ideas in improving the aesthetics of the receiving area, the dining area, and the bedroom. You can move furniture and fixtures in any part of the room without the need of contactors or designers. All you need is creativity to spice the idea and work it in your room. But how about the kitchen and the bathroom? You must think twice.
In the bathroom, you can change the setting of your toiletries, change the curtain window or change the shower curtain. But can you alter the position of your tub or your toilet seat? Then you’re bored.
In an effort to catch dishonest contractors and put an end to their fraudulent actions, Pennsylvania has enacted the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act. As of July 1, 2009, the Act requires all contractors who perform $5,000 or more in home improvements annually to register with the Attorney General’s office. Registered contractors must now carry at least $50,000 of personal injury liability coverage and $50,000 of property damage coverage.
Registration with the Attorney General only costs $51, but the new law also affects remodelers in other ways. For instance, due to new requirements in the consumer-protection laws, construction contracts in Pennsylvania must be longer and become more detailed. This has a downside to contractors as a 17-page contract can appear mighty intimidating to a homeowner. The additional contract pages were added to include supplementary and updated clauses in Pennsylvania law. For instance, up to now, contractors were required to provide a single-page right-to-rescind clause in their contract. The new law identifies specific right-to-rescind language that has to appear in 10-point bold type directly above the signature line. The arbitration clause isn’t enforceable if this right-to-rescind notice doesn’t appear in 10-point bold type.
Home improvement can be expensive and take up a lot of your free time, yet many people never consider hiring a contractor to oversee larger home-improvement projects.
Why Should You Hire A Construction Contractor?
A contractor, in very basic terms, will be able to take the project you’re desiring to have done and do several things with it:
- Estimate time and materials needed
- Figure out how many other construction professionals will be needed
- Come up with a bidding price for all of the above
- Complete the project as scheduled once a contract is signed
Because home-improvement and construction projects are a contractor’s area of expertise, it will take them far less time to plan and execute the project. They have the knowledge and the experience to show for it. You, on the other hand, are an expert in other areas – finance, real estate, family, custodial duties, and so on. Not only will you have to learn aspects of the project you’ve never dealt with before, you’ll also end up spending far more time, and possibly money, than you would otherwise. Especially when things go awry – and they always do.
How To Find A Construction Contractor
Every one who wants to construct a home would want it to look beautiful with a good interior and exterior and would also like their home to be most durable. Granite and marble make your home look modern, stronger and durable. A home can be made not just of marble but also by using different types of granites, marbles and other natural stone products.
The other important aspect is home improvement that means improving the features of a home, which also involves increasing its value. Home improvement is a big decision for everyone and does it for better look and for increasing its durability. When you think of home improvement the use of granite or a marble cannot be ignored. A good home improvement plan should always include renovating the floor, kitchen and obviously bathroom and thereby it is invariable that one has to fallback on the use of marble and granite due to their durability. By using granite and marble you can renovate an old house into an attractive one. Marble and granite columns provide an attractive look to homes by their attractive and vibrant look.
Use of marble in
As I say so frequently that I’m beginning to bore myself, “most remodeling contractors are honest and reliable individuals who want to do quality work at a reasonable price.” Unfortunately, there are just enough contractors out there (or people who claim to be contractors) who take advantage of their customers that some reminders and tips are helpful if you want to do everything possible to protect yourself and your property during home improvement.
1. Don’t make assumptions about referrals. Exercise the same due diligence in evaluating and checking out all contractors. You might have friends or relatives, co-workers or neighbors referring you to contractors they have used with good results. Many people are also simply trusting recommendations from home improvement stores. Even when you are referred to a contractor, check him or her out before you sign a contract. Consumer Reports recently released findings from a study of people who hired contractors to whom they were referred by the two leading home improvement stores. Their survey indicated that people who used these referrals had more problems and were less satisfied with the work than people who used other contractors.
Opportunity and danger are two sides of the same coin. Home improvement projects offer the opportunity to enjoy your home and to increase its value. Such projects; however, present the danger of personal injury, property damage, and unexpected expense if the work contains construction defects. Here are some steps you should take to maximize the opportunity and minimize the danger of home improvement projects. This article addresses common construction defects in exterior projects involving gas pipes and electrical wires. Related articles cover other construction defects.
1. Do your homework. People research many major purchases; but they spend thousands of dollars on home improvements with little or no research about avoiding construction defects or about hiring a qualified and reliable contractor. Information that can help homeowners is available from many sources. Books explain basic construction and building code concepts in plain language. Manufacturer’s installation instructions for many products are available on the internet. This does not mean that you need to become a construction expert before you embark on a home improvement project. You can and should; however, become educated so that you can recognize common construction defects. Being able to recognize construction defects
You have finalized the home improvement plan and selected your contractor; all you need now is to finance the project. If you are cash rich you can just finance it yourself paying cash as the project progresses, if not you can get an equity loan from the bank or a residential construction loan to finance your home improvement construction project.
Home improvement construction loans are short term loans that allow you as property owner or the builder to borrow the money needed to remodel your property. Loan terms vary from project to project but what you need to be aware of is construction loans are interest only payments and the rate of interest charged is generally higher than the long term mortgage rates charged. The way it works, once the loan is sanctioned; funds are distributed either to the property owner or builder all through the duration of home improvement construction process in accordance with a predetermined disbursement schedule. Interest is payable only on the amount drawn to date and not on the whole loan amount. Dependent on what has been agreed with the lender; you will be allowed to draw on the
With the ever changing trends in decoration and the use of new eco-friendly materials in construction and renovation, a large percentage of the population has found itself willing to redecorate or entirely renovate their houses. Home improvement projects can be as simple as re-painting your bedroom but can also include major works like changing your plumbing, modifying the heating and air-conditioning system of your house, changing the home’s structural layout or remodeling a single room.
If you are thinking of improving your home, it is really important to evaluate your budget and really know what kind of improvements will fit your finances and overall lifestyle the best. It is also important to know exactly what results you want to achieve. A simple example would be the choice of colors in a room. If you are looking to paint a part of your house, it is necessary to be aware of the mood you are trying to create in that room and to chose colors that will keep you satisfied for more than a couple of weeks.
In the last couple of years, the phenomenon DIY, also known as “Do It
You have probably been planning that kitchen or bathroom model for months, perhaps even years, so it is tempting to dive right in and start the project. But before you ruin your carefully chosen materials, or cause yourself a trip to the hospital emergency room, take a few moments to review these 10 safety tips.
1. Check on building codes before you start any home remodeling projects. Building codes are intended to protect you, your family and your home, which is probably your largest financial investment. Ignoring building codes can lead to personal peril and difficulty selling your property when buyers learn you skipped the permits.
2. Check your electrical system and make sure it is able to handle power tools. Don’t overload your circuit and make sure your outlets and power tools are properly grounded.
3. Take a few extra minutes to read the manufacturer’s instructions before you start. Pay special attention to any warnings that are listed.
4. If using a table saw for your project, always employ the use of hold-downs and push sticks to keep your fingers out of harm’s
A home improvement loan is actually one of the simplest ways in which you can live in your dream home. This is because it is the prime option for someone wanting to enhance the appearance of their home and also add to the value. In other words, a home improvement loan pays off in many ways. First of all, your home looks great and, second of all, the investment pays for itself because the home goes up in value.
As for how you get a home improvement loan, there are a couple of ways. The first is that you can simply go to your bank and request the money. You can do an assessment of how much work you would like to do and request that amount. The second way is to refinance your mortgage and use the equity in your home to fund your home improvement project. How you do this is you refinance for the worth of your home, you pay off our mortgage, and you then take the difference between the worth of your home and your mortgage and use that money to fund your home improvement project.
Types of home improvement
You can use your loan to fund any
As remodeling projects surge, there is a huge demand for home improvement and remodeling contractors. But not all projects meet their logical conclusion. There are many horror stories about remodeling projects gone wrong. Here are a few things that you ought to know before you embark on a home improvement project:
– Hiring a Contractor: A general contractor is one who ensures that an architect’s plans are carried out flawlessly. He/she arranges for the materials required for the job, the skilled/unskilled workmen, and also taking care of other minor issues like contracting insurance etc. He charges a fixed price-usually 15-25 per cent above the cost of materials and labor. However, this would largely depend on the nature and the complexity of the job. You can save on these costs by acting as a general contractor for your project. But this isn’t a job for the faint-hearted. There are a hundred things to be taken care of, and a hundred worries to address. More often than not, it becomes very difficult to hire an architect who agrees to work with you.
– Before you hire the contractor, make sure you speak
When done with care and caution, home improvement and remodeling projects add value to your home. But if have ever been involved in such a project, I’m sure you would agree that it is indeed challenging. The most important part of the job is to find a contractor who can carry on with the job seamlessly and efficiently. Here are a few pointers to help you find the right contractor:
1) Ask for referrals: If you have engaged an architect to design and supervise the remodeling, he can help you assess the contractor’s qualifications and verify his claims about past performance. Architects work in tandem with contractors during home remodeling projects, and hence are a good source to ask for references. You can also ask for references from friends and family; preferably someone who has completed a home project within the last year. Their experience with the contractor can help you zero in on the right professional.
2) Credentials: Ensure that the contractor is registered and possesses the required licenses from various state and local bodies to undertake home remodeling. A licensed construction company ensures that his employees are covered